Wednesday, 23 May 2012

Turn Back Time on This: Rose McGowan

I always liked Rose McGowan. I had read about her in magazines before seeing any of her movies and I was immediately struck by her unique beauty. She always looked fresh-faced and lovely, dangerously so. Pale skin contrasting with her dark hair and naturally full lips and great figure made her the kind of girl you didn't want your boyfriend to lay his eyes on.

Her appeal only increased with her personality. I thought she was rocking, with hooded, come-hither/drop dead look in her eyes and her pretty mouth. She was like Snow White, except that she was the one who banished the Evil Queen.

In one interview long ago she said she'd do softcore because Shannon Tweed was getting older and someone had to take her place. Then she dated Marilyn Manson and appeared in that infamous dress that exposed her butt.

Remember this? 


 She was the badas** chick you both dreaded and longed to hang out with. That was why I was so excited to see her when the camera panned over her face during Prue's funeral scene on a season finale of 'Charmed'. I thought, "Finally! A real witch in a show about witches!" And I meant that in a good way.

After she did Grindhouse:Planet Terror under Quentin Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez, it didn't surprise me to read about her supposed affair with her director. As seemingly solid as Robert Rodriguez's marriage may have been at the time, it couldn't have survived the onslaught of Rose's seductive presence. Robert simply didn't stand a chance.
And then came Law and Order: SVU. She was a guest star on the show and boy oh boy was I dismayed at what I saw. She went from this:

... to this:


Although she was said to have had some cosmetic surgery to correct an injury to one eye due to a car accident, one look at that picture and it's difficult not to think that the surgeon may have gotten carried away. Her eyebrow line in her older pictures were lower and straighter. In the new ones, her eyebrows are higher and she has this questioning, slightly surprised look.

And then there are her cheeks and lips.


Sure, aging may have something to do with it but in Rose's case, it's not just about losing skin tone and giving in to the pull of gravity. She looks puffy in some places and her mouth has an unnatural symmetry with her nose, something that is easy to spot when her profile is shown. Her body is still rocking and the glint of her personality is still there but in appearances such as Law & Order and The Pastor's Wife, she looks like another woman, a strangely strained-looking woman whose emotions you cannot read. 

Rose McGowan is a wonderful, interesting actress with a fascinating personality. Although fixing what a cosmetic surgeon has broken is usually next to impossible to do, I'm hoping that in time she will get her second wind and recover. She may never regain her old beauty but I do hope she gets her mojo back.


Some things you might want to know about Rose:

Her real name is Rose Arianna McGowan and her birthday is on September 5, 1973.

She modeled for Bebe and was their face from 1998 to 1999. Here's a pic:



She is the second of six children. One sister is a scientist while another is a history teacher.

She has French (from her mom) and Irish (from her dad) blood.

Her father Daniel was once an active leader of the Children of God cult, running one of the Italian chapters. It was not until sexual relations between children and adults were encouraged by the group that her dad packed his family away and ran off to the U.S. Rose was 10 and did not know how to speak English.

She started modeling at age 3 for Vogue Bambini and a few other Italian magazines.

In high school, Rose was a loner and outsider. She was suspected of being a drug addict because of the way she looked and behaved and was sent to a rehab center. She was just 14. She ran away eventually and did not have anywhere to live for one year thereafter.

She was legally emancipated at 15.

She signed up for classes at an art and beauty school and later went to Los Angeles to become an actress.

Her first Hollywood film was Encino Man. She was nominated for Best Debut Performance for her role in Doom Generation.

She dislikes fish.

She is a 36C and has natural auburn hair. She keeps her pale skin pale by staying away from the sun.

She lost her eyebrows when she shaved them for a role. She used eyebrow pencils for many years until her brows began growing back.

She signed up for the role of Paige Matthews in Charmed  to become more popular. Before this, she had been losing roles to other actresses because she was unknown internationally.

To prove how kicka** she really is, she performed her own stunts for the action scenes in Scream.

She is a fan of the 1940s era and likes to style herself using Ava Gardner and Marlene Dietrich as inspirations. She is also a collector of Marlene Dietrich memorabilia.

Rose knits and keeps a garden.

She used to sleepwalk as a kid and once woke up on a snow bank. These days, she says, she only speaks Italian in her sleep.

She is fond of Boston Terriers and supports various causes related to the breed. She has two babies of her own: Bug and Fester.

She once suffered from obsessive compulsive disorder and agoraphobia.

She sings. In an episode of Charmed, she sang 'Fever' by Peggy Lee. She also does karaoke with Patsy Cline songs.


Woulda, coulda...

Rose has had many sidelined projects, many of which seem promising. Too bad no greenlight has been given to any of these and some may have been killed altogether. Some couldabeen roles include:

1. Lead role in Barbarella remake
2. Lead role in Red Sonja (remake?)
3. Probably a lead role in Women in Chains! remake
4. Role in adaptation of Sylvia Plath's The Bell Jar with Julia Stiles
5. Role in Black Oasis as Susan Cabot

Famous Rose quotes:

I feel people have tried to stamp out what is special about me. Why should I downplay myself to make someone else more comfortable?

I still say I can do whatever I want as long as I'm not hurting anybody else. I don't understand why more people aren't like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment